POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov64 - linux advice wanted please! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  pov64 - linux advice wanted please! (Message 11 to 20 of 60)
From: Tek
Subject: Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please!
Date: 3 Dec 2005 14:36:21
Message: <4391f3b5$1@news.povray.org>
Actually it's megapov I'm using at the moment, which does provide a 64-bit
linux version. But I'm reasonably comfortable doing my own compilation
anyway. Not sure if I need the x-windows display, since that's the kind of
thing I want advice on! I'm not sure what the best way is to use pov under
linux.

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com

> Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
>>
>>   About 2), I don't really know if the official binary is 32 or 64
>> bits, as I always compile the sources for my own platform.
>
> The only official binary currently available is a 32bit one.
>
>> The effort is
>> so minimal that any advantage is worth. I mean, compiling your own
>> version for you specific platform is very easy on Linux, and it should
>> take only a few minutes more than installing the official binary (just
>> make sure to install the development tools of your Linux distro).
>
> IIRC the only tools required are gcc and make.  Most distributions install
> those by default.  For building with X Window display you need the
> development packages for the X-Libs.
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> POV-Ray tutorials, include files, Landscape of the week:
> http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)
> MegaPOV with mechanics simulation: http://megapov.inetart.net/

Post a reply to this message