POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov64 - linux advice wanted please! : Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:33:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please!
From: Tek
Date: 3 Dec 2005 14:43:49
Message: <4391f575$1@news.povray.org>
news:43917e17@news.povray.org...
>  Reminds me of http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19990303

True enough :)

>  Some distros are bigger than others and may be oriented at different
> types of users. Some distros are more bare-bones while others come
> with tons of stuff (some people could call it bloat).

Yeah I think I'm definitely in the category that would call it bloat. I want
everything I need to run pov and be able to download & install other stuff
as needed, but that's all. And I'm even happy to use windows for the
downloading.

>  It's like different cars: They all work with the same type of internal
> combustion motor, and they all have (compatible) wheels. However, some
> cars look&feel different than others.

Okay now that just terrifies me because I have a very strong opinion about
what cars are best! For point of reference: lotus elise, caterham 7, noble,
all very good. Lamborghini, Enzo, Zonda, beautiful and fast at but somehow
not as technically impressive as the first group. Porsche Cayenne (that's
the SUV), oh my god no. So basically I'd appreciate it if you can point me
in the direction of a lightweight, good handling build of linux, with a
decent power to weight ratio but lacking the luxury of most cars, and most
definitely a manual gearbox :)

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com