POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov64 - linux advice wanted please! : Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:29:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please!
From: Warp
Date: 3 Dec 2005 16:06:49
Message: <439208e8@news.povray.org>
Tek <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> So basically I'd appreciate it if you can point me
> in the direction of a lightweight, good handling build of linux, with a
> decent power to weight ratio but lacking the luxury of most cars, and most
> definitely a manual gearbox :)

  Well, even though many distros (such as suse) come with a large amount
of software, installing most of that software is optional (you can always
install a piece of software later quite easily with yast2 from either the
installation disc or online).

  Debian (latest unstable version) is usually what many linux gurus use,
but I have heard mixed opinions about it. I can't really say what it is
that makes debian so popular.
  If I'm not mistaken, ubuntu is a "debian for regular users". However
my personal experience is that its installer has poorer hardware support
than suse.

  I think suse should be more than enough for you. Try it, and if you
don't like it, you can always try something else. :)

  Just remember one thing with suse: Whenever you want to configure
something, check first if you can do it with yast2. It's not only
easier that way, but also recommended (harded to screw up things).
Most things can be done with it. This includes program installation
(for most programs, although not all). Even if someone (or some page)
tells you to "open such and such file and edit such and such line",
just check first if you could configure that thing with yast2. (Most
of those advices are for debian anyways :P )

--
                                                          - Warp