POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thinking of moving to something comercial Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:27:24 EDT (-0400)
  Thinking of moving to something comercial (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: John D  Gwinner
Subject: Thinking of moving to something comercial
Date: 29 May 2005 12:16:27
Message: <4299eadb$1@news.povray.org>
Folks:

  I'm thinking of getting a comercial modeler and possibly renderer.
Currently, I have student status due to talking a UCLA writing course
extension.

  It's a lot, but I could possibly afford 3DSMax, and I have to say I'm
tempted.

  However, I like POVRayy's rendering so I'm wondering what moving to a
comercial package would give me, or more accuratly, what' I'd lose.

  Do any of them do procedural texturing?

  Any advice?

        == John ==

Post a reply to this message

>  I'm thinking of getting a comercial modeler and possibly renderer.
>Currently, I have student status due to talking a UCLA writing course
>extension.
>
>  It's a lot, but I could possibly afford 3DSMax, and I have to say I'm
>tempted.
>
>  However, I like POVRayy's rendering so I'm wondering what moving to a
>comercial package would give me, or more accuratly, what' I'd lose.
>
>  Do any of them do procedural texturing?
>
>  Any advice?

Why not grab a free trial version and see for yourself?

There's a 30 day free trial of 3dSMax at
http://www4.discreet.com/3dsmax/3dsmax.php?id=969#

There's a demo version of Cinema4D at
http://www.maxoncomputer.com/download_demo.asp

There's a "Personal Learning Edition" of Maya at
http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/products-services/product_details.jsp?productId=1900003

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

>   I'm thinking of getting a comercial modeler and possibly renderer.
> Currently, I have student status due to talking a UCLA writing course
> extension.
>
>   It's a lot, but I could possibly afford 3DSMax, and I have to say I'm
> tempted.
>
>   However, I like POVRayy's rendering so I'm wondering what moving to a
> comercial package would give me, or more accuratly, what' I'd lose.
>
>   Do any of them do procedural texturing?
>
>   Any advice?
>
>         == John ==

You might want to look at Silo: http://nevercenter.com/ Very intuitive,
great feature set, *MUCH* easier to learn than MAX and it outputs code
suitable for POVray. Oh, and it's far less expensive than buying MAX... 8^)

Post a reply to this message