POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lightsys Reflective Spectral data Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Lightsys Reflective Spectral data (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Subject: Lightsys Reflective Spectral data
Date: 9 Mar 2005 13:37:28
Message: <422f4268$1@news.povray.org>
I'm still playing around with Lightsys, and the more I learn, the more
questions I have.  :-)

I did some tests with some of the demo scenes for Lightsys 4, where I
replaced the reflective spectral data rgb values with plain-old rgb values.
For the items I tested with, I didn't notice any big differences, but
perhaps there are small differences which are more subtle.

My question(s) at this point:
What are the benefits of using the reflective spectral data (e.g.
RS_White_Paint_1) over normal pigments?  Is it simply that the RS values
will look better under a much wider range of lighting?  Is it ok to mix
normal rgb pigments (e.g. rgb <1,0.8, 0.6>) along with the RS values?

Lightsys is an amazing set of includes/macros which everyone should probably
be using, but at this point, I don't understand it very well.  Some day, it
would be nice to have a good tutorial "Lightsys for Dummies" or something.
Perhaps I'll begin writing it up, if I ever get to the point that I truly
understand enough of it.

As always, any insight would be appreciated.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com

Post a reply to this message