POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is this an effective approach for large projects? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:25:48 EDT (-0400)
  Is this an effective approach for large projects? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Brendan Ryan
Subject: Is this an effective approach for large projects?
Date: 14 Feb 2005 21:29:31
Message: <42115e8b$1@news.povray.org>
I'm going to work on a project to create a virtual museum and render
images from many points within it with a spherical camera to view on the
inside surface of a sphere in an OpenGL program.
Would it be effective to have macros to create scene files with their
contents depending on the location of the camera rather than having
scene files that each contain an entire floor of the museum?
I'm thinking of making data files with information about rooms that
macros could read. Then the code that the macros write would depend on
the given location of the spherical camera. That way, only the rooms and
objects that are visible from the current location are parsed and
rendered. What those macros would do is to use the data files to
determine what room the camera would be in and check for things like
doorways and windows other rooms could be visible through. Then a scene
file that includes the include files for those rooms would be written.
Had anyone done something like this before?

Brendan

Post a reply to this message

> I'm going to work on a project to create a virtual museum and render
> images from many points within it with a spherical camera to view on the
> inside surface of a sphere in an OpenGL program.
> Would it be effective to have macros to create scene files with their
> contents depending on the location of the camera rather than having
> scene files that each contain an entire floor of the museum?

I would suggest to use a shell script to render all scenes, script could
write some temporary file (based on current timestamp) and pass name of
such configuration file to POV-Ray using -Ddeclare=... command line option.

> I'm thinking of making data files with information about rooms that
> macros could read. Then the code that the macros write would depend on
> the given location of the spherical camera. That way, only the rooms and
> objects that are visible from the current location are parsed and
> rendered. What those macros would do is to use the data files to
> determine what room the camera would be in and check for things like
> doorways and windows other rooms could be visible through. Then a scene
> file that includes the include files for those rooms would be written.

Seems like another good approach. Or, perhaps, it would be best to write a
small C program to generate POV-Ray syntax list of locations to some
location.inc? I suggest to use with programming language You find most
comfortable :)

--
Rafal Maj Raf256

Post a reply to this message

> Would it be effective to have macros to create scene files with their
> contents depending on the location of the camera rather than having
> scene files that each contain an entire floor of the museum?

Go ahead and split the building up into different rooms, but don't write
complicated code to only draw visible parts. If you find that it's too slow
to render, *then* you can write that code to speed things up, but it might
not be a problem.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message