POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is this an effective approach for large projects? : Re: Is this an effective approach for large projects? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is this an effective approach for large projects?
From: Rafal Maj Raf256
Date: 15 Feb 2005 16:39:53
Message: <2559882.U0UYy4bKFR@raf256com>
Brendan Ryan wrote:

> I'm going to work on a project to create a virtual museum and render
> images from many points within it with a spherical camera to view on the
> inside surface of a sphere in an OpenGL program.
> Would it be effective to have macros to create scene files with their
> contents depending on the location of the camera rather than having
> scene files that each contain an entire floor of the museum?

I would suggest to use a shell script to render all scenes, script could
write some temporary file (based on current timestamp) and pass name of
such configuration file to POV-Ray using -Ddeclare=... command line option.

> I'm thinking of making data files with information about rooms that
> macros could read. Then the code that the macros write would depend on
> the given location of the spherical camera. That way, only the rooms and
> objects that are visible from the current location are parsed and
> rendered. What those macros would do is to use the data files to
> determine what room the camera would be in and check for things like
> doorways and windows other rooms could be visible through. Then a scene
> file that includes the include files for those rooms would be written.

Seems like another good approach. Or, perhaps, it would be best to write a
small C program to generate POV-Ray syntax list of locations to some
location.inc? I suggest to use with programming language You find most
comfortable :)

--
Rafal Maj Raf256