POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Custom reference point for perspective camera? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Custom reference point for perspective camera? (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Jonathan
Subject: Custom reference point for perspective camera?
Date: 20 Oct 2004 18:05:00
Message: <web.4176e00d17c5306fd114d2650@news.povray.org>
We all know that perspective projection is for projecting on a flat
surface, and that the perspective reference point is at the center. But
what if you want to make 'perfect' cross-eyed stereo renderings, like
me?

First, you need some input values and math to position the camera
correctly. The math instantly shows that the perspective reference point
isn't at the center, not even inside the image. So how are you going to
do that in POV-Ray?

You can make the image over twice as wide, position the camera
differently and finally cut out the part you need (manually switching
left and right for each rendering), losing some precision of the
perspective reference point (not much though). If you think that
workaround is easy, try for yourself.

I'd suggest a customizable reference point offset in 2D from the center,
and in 3D like the focal point (NOT doing pointless FOV correction). For
now, does anyone know a more straightforward way?

Jonathan

Post a reply to this message