POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Boned mesh file formats? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Boned mesh file formats? (Message 35 to 44 of 44)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Re: Boned mesh file formats?
Date: 29 Aug 2004 20:20:00
Message: <web.413271f160d46f843a5fb9ba0@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:

> If you only need toons, you might do fine, but for
> serious work it won't do.

I take offense at the implied dichotomy between "toon" and "serious". (Not
personal, but intellectual or ideological offense).  "The Incredibles",
Pixar's next film, I predict, will earn GOBS of cash (a professional
achievement) and will represent a technical achievement on the par  of
Jar-Jar Binks or Gollum.

> Despite that I've come to the conclusion that doing character
> animation *completely* within POV-Ray *is* a waste of time. That is, if
> you're not satisfied with blobby toons, unsmooth joints etc.

I guess my view is that going from a serious modeller to povray is a waste
of time.  It's just another tracer.  The coolness of povray (perhaps a
rarely held opinion) is in its being freeware and allowing the script-based
generation of objects. If I were to get another program to make the
objects, it would seem to make sense to have that program take the
pictures, too.

That being said, I think it would be a great boon if someone were to make a
bending bicubic patch animatable within povray.

Post a reply to this message