POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Boned mesh file formats? : Re: Boned mesh file formats? Server Time
8 Sep 2024 23:54:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boned mesh file formats?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 31 Aug 2004 19:46:57
Message: <41350df1$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> "John VanSickle" <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>
>>Case in point:  The green aliens in my April 2004 entry would have taken
>>weeks to create using hand-edited SDL code.  Using the modeler I've
>>developed, I generated the model in only a couple hours.  This enabled
>>me to move on to other portions of the work.
>
> Questions:
> 1) Are they also part of the lion snake modelling system?  I was about to
> download and try it out once, but the weekend I had free to do it was when
> your ISP was refusing attempts.

Yes.  I moved the download to a new site (the old page will link to it).

> 2) One thing I've always been wanting to ask about your system.   I'm
> assuming you're talking about the aliens which got bit by the tomatoes.  Has
> your system therefore reached the "pants" level of acheivement-- to use my
> earlier terminology-- where the "body" is like the hip/but" of a pair of
> pants, and the two eyestalks are the "legs"?   If so, is this part of
> something you have released-- lionsnake??

Yes.  The eyestalks are chains of three or four bones each.  At the end
of each stalk there is a two-bone fork, to support both the upper and
lower lid of each eye.

The mouth is done with eight bones, one for each corner of the mouth and
three for each lip.

The modeler applies only the most basic limits to the bones, namely that
bones can share start points, but not end points, and that the end point
of any bone can be the starting point for as many bones as your memory
will allow.  I'm working on a model of a creature with six legs and two
arms (I forget whether I gave it a tail).  I still haven't modeled the
bone support for the mouth or the eyelids (or the mesh to serve as the
skin).

The actual reason I started working on the modeler was that after seeing
some of the initial concept art for the IMP I concluded that a real
modeler was essential for some of the work planned.  This was shortly
after the IMP was launched, and to be honest I haven't paid much
attention to the IMP since then.

Regards,
John