POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Boned mesh file formats? : Re: Boned mesh file formats? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boned mesh file formats?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 30 Aug 2004 01:29:33
Message: <4132bb3d$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:

> "Rune" <run### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
>
>>If you only need toons, you might do fine, but for
>>serious work it won't do.
>
> I take offense at the implied dichotomy between "toon" and "serious". (Not
> personal, but intellectual or ideological offense).  "The Incredibles",
> Pixar's next film, I predict, will earn GOBS of cash (a professional
> achievement) and will represent a technical achievement on the par  of
> Jar-Jar Binks or Gollum.

One issue that is important is the ability to get the *exact* effect you
want with the minimal expenditure of time.  SDL can do everything, but
the investment of lifespan is too long for some effects.

>>Despite that I've come to the conclusion that doing character
>>animation *completely* within POV-Ray *is* a waste of time. That is, if
>>you're not satisfied with blobby toons, unsmooth joints etc.
>
> I guess my view is that going from a serious modeller to povray is a waste
> of time.  It's just another tracer.  The coolness of povray (perhaps a
> rarely held opinion) is in its being freeware and allowing the script-based
> generation of objects.

Another beneift of POV-Ray is that I can use the SDL to make alignments
of objects far more precisely than any modeler can allow for the same
amount of lifespan invested.

Regards,
John