POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : BUG: failed to save file Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  BUG: failed to save file (Message 1 to 10 of 24)
From: RTRT buff
Subject: BUG: failed to save file
Date: 18 Jul 2004 07:03:32
Message: <40fa5904@news.povray.org>
run POV 3.6 on win XP
failing to save file "<filename here>"

some thing else using file???

just before rendering

Post a reply to this message

From: Zeger Knaepen
Subject: Re: failed to save file
Date: 18 Jul 2004 10:08:56
Message: <40fa8478$1@news.povray.org>
"RTRT buff" <tom### [at] yahoocom> schreef in bericht
> run POV 3.6 on win XP
> failing to save file "<filename here>"
>
> some thing else using file???
>
> just before rendering

but while parsing, right?

cu!
--
ZK AKA Gaeriel
http://www.povplace.be.tf

Post a reply to this message

From: Apache
Date: 18 Jul 2004 12:28:36
Message: <40faa534$1@news.povray.org>
This has something to do with 3.6 using threads. I have this when I abort a
long parse and try to save after that. What I do: I copy the code into the
buffer and restart pov-ray without saving. I paste the code over the old
code that POV-Ray opens with and THEN I save.
I haven't had the patience yet, but maybe waiting for a while before
retrying to save might help. This might be a bug but I haven't delfed into
that.

Post a reply to this message

"Apache" <apa### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> This has something to do with 3.6 using threads. I have this when I abort
> long parse and try to save after that. What I do: I copy the code into the
> buffer and restart pov-ray without saving. I paste the code over the old
> code that POV-Ray opens with and THEN I save.
> I haven't had the patience yet, but maybe waiting for a while before
> retrying to save might help. This might be a bug but I haven't delfed into
> that.

I don't want to get into the "this is a bug or not" argument, but I find it
annoying, and this "feature" was not in 3.5.   In fact, I've returned to
3.5, as this seems to happen to me every few minutes when using 3.6.  I
guess it just has to do with the way some of us stop renders/parses.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com

Post a reply to this message

> I don't want to get into the "this is a bug or not" argument, but I find it
> annoying, and this "feature" was not in 3.5.   In fact, I've returned to
> 3.5, as this seems to happen to me every few minutes when using 3.6.  I
> guess it just has to do with the way some of us stop renders/parses.

Well, that attitude is hardly helpful.  You refuse to provide any even
remotely useful description how to reproduce a problem you are seeing.  Do
you really think this makes it more likely the problem will go away in the
future?  Whining does really get nobody anywhere!

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> > I don't want to get into the "this is a bug or not" argument, but I find
it
> > annoying, and this "feature" was not in 3.5.   In fact, I've returned to
> > 3.5, as this seems to happen to me every few minutes when using 3.6.  I
> > guess it just has to do with the way some of us stop renders/parses.
>
> Well, that attitude is hardly helpful.  You refuse to provide any even
> remotely useful description how to reproduce a problem you are seeing.  Do
> you really think this makes it more likely the problem will go away in the
> future?  Whining does really get nobody anywhere!

I've seen this mentioned at least a couple of other times in these
newsgroups.  I don't feel the need to mention it again and again (or at all
if someone has already mentioned it), but I don't mind saying that I'm
experiencing the same annoying problem, hoping that the more people who
mention it will lead to it getting fixed sooner.  I didn't think I was being
whiney.  I thought I was just letting someone know that this is not an
isolated case.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com

Post a reply to this message

> I've seen this mentioned at least a couple of other times in these
> newsgroups.  I don't feel the need to mention it again and again (or at all
> if someone has already mentioned it), but I don't mind saying that I'm
> experiencing the same annoying problem, hoping that the more people who
> mention it will lead to it getting fixed sooner.  I didn't think I was being
> whiney.  I thought I was just letting someone know that this is not an
> isolated case.

Well, it should be fairly obvious that only a few of the thousands of people
using POV-Ray for Windows see the problem, so obviously a tiny bit more is
needed than saying "me too".  The bug reporting guidelines in the faq group
exist for a reason ... if you do not follow them, we just won't be able to
help you.  It is that simple, sorry!