POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : BUG: failed to save file : Re: failed to save file Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:11:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: failed to save file
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 20 Jul 2004 14:09:19
Message: <40fd5fcf$1@news.povray.org>
In article <40fd4ec1$1@news.povray.org> , "Apache"
<apa### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> 1.
> Take any scene that needs a long parse time so that you have the time to
> abort it before the rendere kicks in.
>
> 2.
> While pov-ray is parsing, abort it and change something in the source so
> that you can save changes.
> POV-Ray won't be liking that because the file is apparently still in use
> and/or locked because it's apparently still parsing. Press Abort when
> POV-Ray asks you what you want to do now so that you can edit the code again
> if you like
>
> 3.
> When parsing has really stopped and the RUN (alt-g) button is available
> again, try to save once again. POV-Ray will refuse to save even now. I
> simply copy-paste the code I want to save, close POV-Ray without storing
> data. And I'll paste the code into a new instance of POV-Ray

I tried the "Tierra (LOTW)" scene posted in p.b.s-f a few weeks ago and used
it with 30000 trees and let it parse to 50 million tokens, then used the
keybord to stop the render and instantly after that save the modified scene
file (in which I had inserted a space).  The files was saved as expected.
The system was a P4 3GHz with 1 GB of memory running Win XP Pro (used over
remote desktop) with all available Win patches installed.

Thus, I am afraid more information is needed.  A scene for example.  And the
system software, processor and physical memory of everone seeing this
problem will surely not hurt either.

> Although I'm pretty sure you guys already know of this kind of behaviour, I
> still hope I'm at least helping a bit with this!

Well, I think you have been told numerous times that this is not the case.
And given that there is no flood of reports in these groups despite
thousands of download, it should be fairly clear that this only happens on
some systems...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde