POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : non-transparent SSS and interior texture with mesh2 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:08:10 EDT (-0400)
  non-transparent SSS and interior texture with mesh2 (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: anto matkovic
Subject: Re: non-transparent SSS and interior texture with mesh2
Date: 8 May 2004 16:27:40
Message: <409d42bc@news.povray.org>
There is an example at povray.binaries.scene-files - with single
sphere-like
> > mesh ( 68 triangles)
> > Right question is, how I can apply interior_texture in texture_list, or
> > need some other way?
> > When I uncoment interior_texture, about line 320, POV reports error.
>
> What makes you think this is valid syntax?

Well, I asking is there *any* syntax for aplying exterior and interior
texture to UV-mapped mesh in POV-Ray - with thousands triangles converted
from 3d modeling program, not a few triangles made for hobby. This
inside-outside separated materials is common feature in many renderers,
including raytracers. I'm afraid that POV can't do that.

I will be very happy if some of next official version will support some
common things like Angle Of Incidence, motion blur, fast (even 'faked',
interpolated, anything...) SSS..., ambient occlusion (newest version of
freeware Blender have AO, works very good...) just because I'm afraid for
the future of raytracer which I was using for a years.

> Not that this has anything to do with scattering media and opacity...

I posted two separated answers in one message.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 8 May 2004 17:24:10
Message: <409d4ffa@news.povray.org>
anto matkovic <ant### [at] matkoviccom> wrote:
> Right question is, how I can apply interior_texture in texture_list, or I
> need some other way?

  You can't specify the interior_texture of individual triangles in a mesh.
You can only specify one for the whole mesh (at the 'mesh2' block level).

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 8 May 2004 17:55:02
Message: <c7jkvi$aqp$1@chho.imagico.de>
anto matkovic wrote:

> I will be very happy if some of next official version will support some
> common things like Angle Of Incidence, motion blur, fast (even 'faked',
> interpolated, anything...) SSS..., ambient occlusion (newest version of
> freeware Blender have AO, works very good...) just because I'm afraid for
> the future of raytracer which I was using for a years.

I am pretty sure if you are more happy with using blender no one here
will feel urged to convince you not to use it.  On the other hand it
might be a good idea to actually understand what the words you are using
there mean.  Someone who really believes what you are writing surely has
to wonder why it is possible to create good looking images with POV-Ray
at all...

Unfortunately it has become a quite common attitude recently to demand a
new feature as soon as something does not work as expected.  POV-Ray is
not a program aimed to be as easy to use as possible at all costs.  If
you have seriously tried to use the existing features to achieve the
intended effect and can well demonstrate a limitation, someone familiar
with the POV-Ray internals and the technical aspects of raytracing might
decide to implement a new feature for this purpose.  Incidently most of
the patches that have been written in the last years have been created
this way, i don't remember any written because someone demanded a
certain headword from the advertisement repertoire of commercial CG
packages.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 8 May 2004 18:51:53
Message: <opr7pdsrkwzjc5hb@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 8 May 2004 22:26:30 +0200, anto matkovic <ant### [at] matkoviccom> wrote:
> Well, I asking is there *any* syntax for aplying exterior and interior
> texture to UV-mapped mesh in POV-Ray - with thousands triangles converted
> from 3d modeling program, not a few triangles made for hobby. This
> inside-outside separated materials is common feature in many renderers,
> including raytracers. I'm afraid that POV can't do that.

Look at http://hem.bredband.net/b230591/povray/inside_outside.png.

That's a mesh2 with 10k triangles. It's uv-mapped and has a different
texture on the inside. Is that what you are trying to achieve?

I looked at your post in binaries.scene-files. Here's what I think you're
doing wrong:
- Trying to use 'interior_texture' in 'texture_list'. That's not what
'texture_list' is for.
- Using 'uv_mapping' as an object attribute. It's supposed to be a texture
attribute.

What you need to do is something like this (copied verbatim from the scene
shown in the link above):

object {
	#include "squared_torus3.inc"
	texture { OutsideTex }
	interior_texture { InsideTex }
	clipped_by { plane {-y, 0.5} }
	translate 0.25*z
}

The include file contains a 'mesh2', and nothing else. The clipping is
just to show the inside of what is otherwise a closed object.

> I will be very happy if some of next official version will support some
> common things like Angle Of Incidence, motion blur, fast (even 'faked',
> interpolated, anything...) SSS..., ambient occlusion (newest version of
> freeware Blender have AO, works very good...) just because I'm afraid for
> the future of raytracer which I was using for a years.

I consider it fairly likely that AOI will appear in some future official
version, considering that it has already been implemented and tested in an
unofficial version.

Motion blur does not strictly require anything at all from the renderer.
It can be done "externally", by temporally supersampling the image. Slow,
perhaps, but it can be done.

Why should the POV team expend effort on implementing any kind of "fake"
SSS, when POV-Ray can already do "real" SSS? I would much rather they
spend time optimizing media rendering (and thus SSS) instead of trying to
add some new feature that isn't really needed.
If you really want something fake, check out "sss_macro.inc" by Samuel
Benge. Find it in
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C3FC5387A.5080705%40hotmail.com%3E/.

You asked about "ambient occlusion" before, in povray.general. The answer
given then was that POV-Ray can achieve a similar effect (better even)
with it's 'radiosity'.

I am not the least bit afraid for the future of POV-Ray.

>> Not that this has anything to do with scattering media and opacity...
>
> I posted two separated answers in one message.

I guess I did too...

---
FE

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 May 2004 20:52:23
Message: <cjameshuff-F5EAB8.19522308052004@news.povray.org>
In article <409d42bc@news.povray.org>,
 "anto matkovic" <ant### [at] matkoviccom> wrote:

> Well, I asking is there *any* syntax for aplying exterior and interior
> texture to UV-mapped mesh in POV-Ray - with thousands triangles converted
> from 3d modeling program, not a few triangles made for hobby. This
> inside-outside separated materials is common feature in many renderers,
> including raytracers. I'm afraid that POV can't do that.

I am not very familiar with the specifics of how UV-mapping works, but
it shouldn't pose much of a problem. Meshes do work with the interior
texture feature, and the syntax is the same as for every other object.
However, you can't specify the interior texture for individual triangles.

> I will be very happy if some of next official version

Not in the next version, which won't have many new rendering features.
Perhaps in later versions, and likely in some unofficial versions.

> will support some common things like Angle Of Incidence,

Already exists in a pattern patch, and can be done using one of my
(currently unreleased) function patches. Probably won't make it into the
official version, though features that allow you to implement an AOI
pattern probably will eventually.

> motion blur,

Exists in an older version of MegaPOV, couldn't be updated in time for
the new version. You can do similar effects without the patch by using
multiple transparent copies of an object.

> fast (even 'faked', interpolated, anything...) SSS...,

This is a very complex feature, requiring much work before work on the
implementation even starts. There are many possible ways to do it, and
finding a good one will take some research and experimentation.

> ambient occlusion (newest version of freeware Blender have AO, works
> very good...)

POV doesn't *need* ambient occlusion. It's a cheap hack replacement for
radiosity, which POV already does quite well. This will most likely
never be implemented.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 9 May 2004 10:36:09
Message: <409e41d9$1@news.povray.org>
anto matkovic nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/05/08 16:26... :

> There is an example at povray.binaries.scene-files - with single
>sphere-like
>

>>>mesh ( 68 triangles)
>>>Right question is, how I can apply interior_texture in texture_list, or

>>>need some other way?
>>>When I uncoment interior_texture, about line 320, POV reports error.
>>>

>>What makes you think this is valid syntax?
>>

>Well, I asking is there *any* syntax for aplying exterior and interior
>texture to UV-mapped mesh in POV-Ray - with thousands triangles converted
>from 3d modeling program, not a few triangles made for hobby. This
>inside-outside separated materials is common feature in many renderers,
>including raytracers. I'm afraid that POV can't do that.
>
>I will be very happy if some of next official version will support some
>common things like Angle Of Incidence, motion blur, fast (even 'faked',
>interpolated, anything...) SSS..., ambient occlusion (newest version of
>freeware Blender have AO, works very good...) just because I'm afraid for
>the future of raytracer which I was using for a years.
>

>>Not that this has anything to do with scattering media and opacity...
>>

>I posted two separated answers in one message.

Be carefull with the terms used, some times, the exact same term is used
by different programms for very different things, and different
programms use unrelated terms to refer to the exact same, or very
similar, thing.
Take "nurb" for example, Maya (ple) use it for "plastic" softly shapable
objects while other, like moray, use it for something similar to a
sphere sweep...(as far as I can tell from my experience)
Ambient occlusion looks like some faked radiosity.

Alain