POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : non-transparent SSS and interior texture with mesh2 : Re: non-transparent SSS and interior texture with mesh2 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: non-transparent SSS and interior texture with mesh2
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 May 2004 20:52:23
Message: <cjameshuff-F5EAB8.19522308052004@news.povray.org>
In article <409d42bc@news.povray.org>,
 "anto matkovic" <ant### [at] matkoviccom> wrote:

> Well, I asking is there *any* syntax for aplying exterior and interior
> texture to UV-mapped mesh in POV-Ray - with thousands triangles converted
> from 3d modeling program, not a few triangles made for hobby. This
> inside-outside separated materials is common feature in many renderers,
> including raytracers. I'm afraid that POV can't do that.

I am not very familiar with the specifics of how UV-mapping works, but
it shouldn't pose much of a problem. Meshes do work with the interior
texture feature, and the syntax is the same as for every other object.
However, you can't specify the interior texture for individual triangles.

> I will be very happy if some of next official version

Not in the next version, which won't have many new rendering features.
Perhaps in later versions, and likely in some unofficial versions.

> will support some common things like Angle Of Incidence,

Already exists in a pattern patch, and can be done using one of my
(currently unreleased) function patches. Probably won't make it into the
official version, though features that allow you to implement an AOI
pattern probably will eventually.

> motion blur,

Exists in an older version of MegaPOV, couldn't be updated in time for
the new version. You can do similar effects without the patch by using
multiple transparent copies of an object.

> fast (even 'faked', interpolated, anything...) SSS...,

This is a very complex feature, requiring much work before work on the
implementation even starts. There are many possible ways to do it, and
finding a good one will take some research and experimentation.

> ambient occlusion (newest version of freeware Blender have AO, works
> very good...)

POV doesn't *need* ambient occlusion. It's a cheap hack replacement for
radiosity, which POV already does quite well. This will most likely
never be implemented.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/