POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : looking for antialiasing critical scenes Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  looking for antialiasing critical scenes (Message 29 to 38 of 58)
From: Tony[B]
Subject: Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes
Date: 24 Feb 2002 10:10:09
Message: <3c790251@news.povray.org>
OK. Cool. I'll see if I can find anything. I didn't have any specific one in
mind, I was just wondering how different a given scene would look.

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Feb 2002 10:20:05
Message: <chrishuff-08F443.10195624022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c78cad6$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote:

> You can't talk about realistic. AA doesn't happen in nature... ;)

But it is intended to calculate a specific thing (the color over the
entire pixel), and clipping makes that less accurate. And it apparently
also happens with focal blur...not good!
I'd gladly take having unantialiased edges on superbright objects to
have them work properly in other cases...I can work around the first
problem by adding information to the scene, I can't work around the
second (currently existing) problem. :-(
It also seems unintuitive to me: you have a bunch of small stars, and
antialiasing wipes them out because they don't cover whole pixels. You
make them brighter to compensate...nothing happens?!?
And with focal blur, the problem is worse...you simply will get a less
realistic image.
Maybe some flag to limit the max value of a sample...radiosity uses
similar tricks.

> The current AA give the same result as if you rendered the image at a
> very large resolution and then scaled it down.

Not really...you could render to a format with a larger dynamic range,
like RGBE, and process with tools that can handle it. ;-)

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message