POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making Clouds Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Making Clouds (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Zeger Knaepen
Subject: Re: Making Clouds
Date: 28 Jan 2002 20:06:30
Message: <3c55f596$1@news.povray.org>
> Ah nothing like a little light source to make things visible :)
> That definitly helped. I also did need the max_trace_level.
:)

> Now my next request...can you explain a) how this works and b) can I make it
> work in Moray?
a) I'll try to explain it, although I'm not really good at explaining things :)
Ok, let's start with 1 layer.  What you get is just a shaded, partially transparent
sphere, with a cloud-pattern on it.  Most of the light just falls through it, because
even
the least transparent parts of the layer still are transparent.  Now add a second
layer.
The light that passes through the first sphere (we see the shading of the sphere from
the
inside because of the double_illuminate modifier) now illuminates the second sphere.
But
the first layer casts a cloud-shaped shadow on the second layer (because of the used
pattern).
Now by adding more layers, we get a cloud-pattern with light edges and darker parts
where
the clouds are.  More or less.

b) I don't know, I haven't used Moray for 2 years. But it will work if you can set
double_illuminate from within Moray.  But it's not easy to switch between the number
of
layers with Moray.  I would make an inc-file with the clouds and include it in your
Moray-scene.

cu!
--
camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local C=0
;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1

Post a reply to this message

From: Mitchell Waite
Date: 28 Jan 2002 21:41:52
Message: <3c560bf0$1@news.povray.org>
Zeger your explaining is fine. Only thing is what the heck is double
illuminate flag mean. There is no explaination of it in the povray 3.5 docs.
So the sphere are successively smaller and smaller and in a union. In the
code below the while statment leads to 10 spheres right? I am not really
using animation am I as I just see one frame get rendered. So the first
sphere is scale 125 + 0, the second is 125 + 1/10, the third is 124 "+ /10
and so on so they are really close together. Seems that I could put 10
spheres inside eachother in Moray but not sure how to get the double
illuminate part to work. The pigment could be a material couldn't it, since
there is nothing changing in the while loop? Excuse me if I seem slow
figuring this out.

thanks

Mitch

            #declare c=clock;
            #declare mc=1;

            #declare Min_fil=.6;
            #declare Diffuse=1.5;
            union {
                #declare Layers=10;
                #declare Count=0;
                #while (Count<Layers)
                    #declare T=Count/Layers;
                    sphere {
                        0,1
                        scale 125+T*5
                        double_illuminate
                    }
                    #declare Count=Count+1;
                #end
                hollow
                pigment {
                    average
                    pigment_map {
                        [mc-c
                         bozo
                         color_map {
                             [.6 rgbt 1]
                             [1 rgbt <1,1,1,Min_fil>]
                         }
                         turbulence 1  octaves 4 lambda 3
                         translate c*.1
                         scale 30
                        ]
                        [c
                         bozo
                         color_map {
                             [.6 rgbt 1]
                             [1 rgbt <1,1,1,Min_fil>]
                         }
                         turbulence 1  octaves 4 lambda 3
                         translate (c-mc)*.1
                         scale 30
                        ]
                    }
                }
                finish {ambient .1 diffuse Diffuse}
                translate -y*100
            }
            background {rgb <.5,.6,.8>}

            // create a regular point light source
              light_source {
             0*x                  // light's position (translated below)
             color rgb <1,1,1>    // light's color
             translate <-20, 40, -20>
             }

            global_settings {
            max_trace_level 50  //should be enough
            }

"Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] studentkuleuvenacbe> wrote in message
> > Ah nothing like a little light source to make things visible :)
> > That definitly helped. I also did need the max_trace_level.
> :)
>
> > Now my next request...can you explain a) how this works and b) can I
make it
> > work in Moray?
> a) I'll try to explain it, although I'm not really good at explaining
things :)
> Ok, let's start with 1 layer.  What you get is just a shaded, partially
transparent
> sphere, with a cloud-pattern on it.  Most of the light just falls through
it, because even
> the least transparent parts of the layer still are transparent.  Now add a
second layer.
> The light that passes through the first sphere (we see the shading of the
sphere from the
> inside because of the double_illuminate modifier) now illuminates the
second sphere. But
> the first layer casts a cloud-shaped shadow on the second layer (because
of the used
> pattern).
> Now by adding more layers, we get a cloud-pattern with light edges and
darker parts where
> the clouds are.  More or less.
>
> b) I don't know, I haven't used Moray for 2 years. But it will work if you
can set
> double_illuminate from within Moray.  But it's not easy to switch between
the number of
> layers with Moray.  I would make an inc-file with the clouds and include
it in your
> Moray-scene.
>
> cu!
> --
> camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local
C=0
> ;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local
C=C+1
> ;#end#end
L(y-x,y,x,x+y)L(y,-x-y,x+y,y)L(-x-y,-y,y,y+z)L(-y,y,y+z,x+y)L(0,x+y,
> <.5,1,.5>,x)L(0,x-y,<.5,1,.5>,x)               // ZK
http://www.povplace.be.tf

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 28 Jan 2002 21:54:51
Message: <chrishuff-7DC556.21570028012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c560bf0$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Mitchell Waite" <mit### [at] dnaicom> wrote:

> Zeger your explaining is fine. Only thing is what the heck is double
> illuminate flag mean. There is no explaination of it in the povray 3.5 docs.

6.5.9.8 Double_Illuminate
http://www.povray.org/working-docs/id000172.html#6_5_9_8

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 28 Jan 2002 22:24:16
Message: <3c5615e0$1@news.povray.org>
> So the sphere are successively smaller and smaller and in a union. In the
> code below the while statment leads to 10 spheres right? I am not really
that's right.  You'll get as many spheres as you specified in the variable Layers.

> using animation am I as I just see one frame get rendered. So the first
> sphere is scale 125 + 0, the second is 125 + 1/10, the third is 124 "+ /10
> and so on so they are really close together. Seems that I could put 10
> spheres inside eachother in Moray but not sure how to get the double
> illuminate part to work. The pigment could be a material couldn't it, since
> there is nothing changing in the while loop? Excuse me if I seem slow
> figuring this out.
As I said: you could do this in Moray (maybe except for the double_illuminate
modifier),
but it wouldn't be as flexible: you couldn't make test-renders with fewer cloud-layers
without deleting spheres from your scene.

cu!

From: Mitchell Waite
Date: 28 Jan 2002 22:34:54
Message: <3c56185e$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks Chris that is very useful, now I finally understand. Very powerful
feature.

news:chr### [at] netplexaussieorg...

From: Ben Chambers
Date: 29 Jan 2002 01:33:54
Message: <3c564252@news.povray.org>
"Mitchell Waite" <mit### [at] dnaicom> wrote in message
> Thanks for the references, I spent some time looking through them, but I
> could not find any simple cloud pov files. Most where really really
> complicated. What I would like to find is something easy to work with.
>
> Mitch

Write one? :)

Seriously, it's just not a simple task.  Most of the time, I layer several
planes (or stretched discs) at different heights, and the results come out
ok (though not photorealistic).

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 29 Jan 2002 03:50:29
Message: <3c566255$1@news.povray.org>

3c5591de@news.povray.org...
> Can anyone point me in a direction for making clouds, not the kind that
are
> painted on a surface with a texture map but rather a three dimensional
> floating cloud that has the characteristics of a real cloud. I want to
float
> one over my terrain sculpture.

Try Jaime's clouds here (under "stacked sky"), probably the best cloud macro
available.
http://www.ignorancia.org/galleries.shtml
However, note that while there have been good Povray clouds, there is no
perfect way yet(realistic AND fast AND simple to set up) to create 3d clouds
in Povray.

G.
--

**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 29 Jan 2002 07:55:01
Message: <3c569ba4@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> Try Jaime's clouds here (under "stacked sky"), probably the best cloud
> macro available.
> http://www.ignorancia.org/galleries.shtml

  Hmmmm.... thanks! But if I remember well Mitchel scene, I think the
stacked technique is not really appropiated for it, mainly due to the point
of view (not from bellow). Perhaps media is the only solution for this
case, IMHO.

> However, note that while there have been good Povray clouds, there is no
> perfect way yet(realistic AND fast AND simple to set up) to create 3d
> clouds in Povray.

 Amen.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

From: Mitchell Waite
Date: 29 Jan 2002 09:52:31
Message: <3c56b72f@news.povray.org>
Hey thanks Jamie, at least that scene is one I can follow (nice and short).
Do I understand from your comments that the stacked plane approach to clouds
will not let me see a single fluffy cloud if I am looking down from above a
small mountain, e.g. I won't see a cloud floating above the terrain?

So far the only method that I have found that comes close to that is the
technique of using concentric spheres and the special double illumination
flag. Any comments on that technique?

Mitch

PS I like the way your site shows the thumbnails.

"Jaime Vives Piqueres" <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote in message
> Gilles Tran wrote:
>
> > Try Jaime's clouds here (under "stacked sky"), probably the best cloud
> > macro available.
> > http://www.ignorancia.org/galleries.shtml
>
>   Hmmmm.... thanks! But if I remember well Mitchel scene, I think the
> stacked technique is not really appropiated for it, mainly due to the
point
> of view (not from bellow). Perhaps media is the only solution for this
> case, IMHO.
>
> > However, note that while there have been good Povray clouds, there is no
> > perfect way yet(realistic AND fast AND simple to set up) to create 3d
> > clouds in Povray.
>
>  Amen.
>
> --
> Jaime Vives Piqueres
>
> La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
> http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 29 Jan 2002 11:06:11
Message: <3c56c872@news.povray.org>
Mitchell Waite wrote:

> Do I understand from your comments that the stacked plane approach
> to clouds will not let me see a single fluffy cloud if I am looking down
> from above a small mountain, e.g. I won't see a cloud floating above the
> terrain?

  Well, being based on planes, it works better for viewing directions not
much paralel to the planes.

> So far the only method that I have found that comes close to that is the
> technique of using concentric spheres and the special double illumination
> flag. Any comments on that technique?

  Not tried it, but sounds like a fine solution from Zeger description, and
seing the clouds on his images, I think it can be appropiated for your
scene. Being spheres instead of planes, the point of view seems not a big
problem. Definitely, I must try it someday...

> PS I like the way your site shows the thumbnails.

  Thanks, I tried to make the design simple but also not too boring.