POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making Clouds : Re: Making Clouds Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Clouds
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 29 Jan 2002 11:06:11
Message: <3c56c872@news.povray.org>
Mitchell Waite wrote:

> Do I understand from your comments that the stacked plane approach
> to clouds will not let me see a single fluffy cloud if I am looking down
> from above a small mountain, e.g. I won't see a cloud floating above the
> terrain?

  Well, being based on planes, it works better for viewing directions not
much paralel to the planes.

> So far the only method that I have found that comes close to that is the
> technique of using concentric spheres and the special double illumination
> flag. Any comments on that technique?

  Not tried it, but sounds like a fine solution from Zeger description, and
seing the clouds on his images, I think it can be appropiated for your
scene. Being spheres instead of planes, the point of view seems not a big
problem. Definitely, I must try it someday...

> PS I like the way your site shows the thumbnails.

  Thanks, I tried to make the design simple but also not too boring.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org