POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Vector graphics program exporting to PoV-Ray? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Vector graphics program exporting to PoV-Ray? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: Vector graphics program exporting to PoV-Ray?
Date: 20 Aug 2003 11:29:19
Message: <3F43B1E8.DC63A457@tiscalinet.de>
High!

I'm looking for a vector graphics program (for Windows or Linux) which
is able to export polygons and curves,
especially Bezier curves, as splines to PoV-Ray. The program should also
support import of bitmap graphics, so that I
would be able to manually draw a bezier curve based on a scanned image.

The underlying problem is that I want to raytrace some Arabic and
Chinese calligraphies made by a friend and, up to
now, found heightfields made out of the (slighly blurred for smooth
edges)  scanned originals quite dissatisfactory, they
look to "pixely"...

See you in Khyberspace -
http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/khyberspace/index-e.html
Afghanistan Chronicle: http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/index-e.htm
Home-made electronic music: http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/music/

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:37:44 +0000, Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
<yad### [at] tiscalinetde> wrote:
> I'm looking for a vector graphics program (for Windows or Linux) which
> is able to export polygons and curves,
> especially Bezier curves, as splines to PoV-Ray.

DXF -> POV http://autocad2pov.povray.co.uk/

I'm sure there are free CAD-like applications with DXF creation over bitmap.

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> I'm looking for a vector graphics program (for Windows or Linux) which
> is able to export polygons and curves,
> especially Bezier curves, as splines to PoV-Ray. The program should also
> support import of bitmap graphics, so that I
> would be able to manually draw a bezier curve based on a scanned image.

Are you aware of eps2pov? It has been posted to povray.binaries.utilities
by Ross Martin (http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.utilities/30771/).
So, you can use your favorite vector graphics program and export the image
as postscript. (I suggest XFig http://www.xfig.org/ , if you're looking for
a favorite vector graphics program.)

Greetings
Thomas

--
aaa := ira

Post a reply to this message

Hi, "CYCAS" is a CAD progran tha exports to POV (the "public" version is
free, I think)  Also, Rhino3d (3d modeler, not free) will export nurbs
data as povray meshes.

rd

> High!
>
> I'm looking for a vector graphics program (for Windows or Linux) which
> is able to export polygons and curves,
> especially Bezier curves, as splines to PoV-Ray. The program should also
> support import of bitmap graphics, so that I
> would be able to manually draw a bezier curve based on a scanned image.
>
> The underlying problem is that I want to raytrace some Arabic and
> Chinese calligraphies made by a friend and, up to
> now, found heightfields made out of the (slighly blurred for smooth
> edges)  scanned originals quite dissatisfactory, they
> look to "pixely"...
>
> See you in Khyberspace -
> http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/khyberspace/index-e.html
> Afghanistan Chronicle: http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/index-e.htm
> Home-made electronic music: http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/music/
>
> Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

> I'm looking for a vector graphics program (for Windows or Linux) which
> is able to export polygons and curves,
> especially Bezier curves, as splines to PoV-Ray. The program should also
> support import of bitmap graphics, so that I
> would be able to manually draw a bezier curve based on a scanned image.

Open the images with The Gimp. Use for example select by colour to select
the calligraphies. Then selection to path, save the path. You can use my
little Python script gimppath2pov to convert the points of the path to an
array that can be used by POV-Ray as a bezier spline.
http://members.home.nl/seedseven/#gimpov

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

> Open the images with The Gimp. Use for example select by colour to
select
> the calligraphies. Then selection to path, save the path. You can
use my
> little Python script gimppath2pov to convert the points of the path
to an
> array that can be used by POV-Ray as a bezier spline.
> http://members.home.nl/seedseven/#gimpov

This would run only under Linux, wouldn't it? I'm not familiar at all
with Python, if I remember well, it's a purely interpreted language, so I
wouldn't have to compile the script... or am I wrong?

See you in Khyberspace -
http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/khyberspace/index-e.html
Afghanistan Chronicle: http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/index-e.htm
Home-made electronic music: http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/music/

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 21:04:47 +0000, Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
<yad### [at] tiscalinetde> wrote:
> This would run only under Linux, wouldn't it? I'm not familiar at all
> with Python, if I remember well, it's a purely interpreted language, so I
> wouldn't have to compile the script... or am I wrong?

http://www.python.org/windows/

ABX

Post a reply to this message