POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Partial sweeping around an axis Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Partial sweeping around an axis (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Mark M Wilson
Subject: Partial sweeping around an axis
Date: 4 Dec 2002 13:38:22
Message: <3DEE4B86.30200@att.net>
Is there a way with SOR and lathe objects to limit the sweep to an arc
of x degrees, where 0 < x < 360 ? -- WITHOUT differencing of any kind?
--Thanks
MMW

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: Partial sweeping around an axis
Date: 4 Dec 2002 14:01:00
Message: <chrishuff-0E0D77.13575704122002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3DE### [at] attnet>, Mark M Wilson <mrm### [at] attnet>
wrote:

> Is there a way with SOR and lathe objects to limit the sweep to an arc
> of x degrees, where 0 < x < 360 ? -- WITHOUT differencing of any kind?

Well, you could use intersections instead...not what you want, I think.
There is no way to do that without some kind of CSG or clipped_by.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

It seems like it _should_ be possible, considering how verbally easy the
idea is to convey -- not that there's necessarily a correlation between
the way an idea is expressed in words rather than equations! :-)

Maybe a feature for a future version?

--Mark

wrote:

> It seems like it _should_ be possible, considering how verbally easy the
> idea is to convey -- not that there's necessarily a correlation between
> the way an idea is expressed in words rather than equations! :-)
>
> Maybe a feature for a future version?

It would be very easy to do, and maybe it will someday be
implemented...but there is already an easy way to do it, using CSG or
clipped_by, and it is a very special-purpose feature, so there probably
isn't much interest.