POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Error_Bound Suggestion Server Time
5 May 2024 20:45:49 EDT (-0400)
  Error_Bound Suggestion (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Andrew Cocker
Subject: Error_Bound Suggestion
Date: 30 Aug 2002 11:02:18
Message: <3d6f88fa@news.povray.org>
(Sorry for the reposts)

Whilst rendering internal room scenes with plane walls, I have noticed (as have many
others
I'm certain) that using a high error_bound gives better (ie non-blotchy) results on
the large
flat areas, but poor (ie too light) shadows. However, a very low error_bound creates
blotchiness on the large flat areas, but great shadows.

Would it be possible (and I am no expert on how radiosity works) to specify different
values
for error_bound for different areas of the image, and have POV-Ray interpolate between
them to
give smooth transitions? My idea works thus:

Imagine the rendered output as a grid, with <0,0> at top left, and <10,10> at bottom
right.
The user could then say something like:

error_bound_map {
<0,0>,1,
<3.46,2.45>,0.1,
<3.65,2.84>,0.15,
<1.165,9.866>,1.22,
}

POV-Ray could then create it's own array (of user_specified resolution) of error_bound
entries, covering the image.
It would be very helpful if entries could be inserted into the map out of order too,
as and
when the user decides a new entry is needed, rather than having to place them in order
of
numeric value (is that clear?).

This might also help speed-up parts of the image too, I think.

I have no idea if the above is workable, or codeable within the confines of the
current source
code. Maybe in version 4? (or hopefully in version 4, a better quality of radiosity
could be
achieved without the above being neccessary.)

Any comments on this?

All the best,

Andy Cocker

Post a reply to this message

> Whilst rendering internal room scenes with plane walls, I have noticed (as have many
others
> I'm certain) that using a high error_bound gives better (ie non-blotchy) results on
the large
> flat areas, but poor (ie too light) shadows. However, a very low error_bound creates
> blotchiness on the large flat areas, but great shadows.
>
> Would it be possible (and I am no expert on how radiosity works) to specify
different values
> for error_bound for different areas of the image, and have POV-Ray interpolate
between them to
> give smooth transitions? My idea works thus:
>
> [...]

I'm not sure if that would be useful, but it could be worth testing.
Using a function for the error_bound would probably be better than your
approach.

There is already code increasing the error bound under certain
circumstances:

function 'Compute_Ambient()' in radiosit.cpp:

  save_bound = opts.Radiosity_Error_Bound;
  if ( Weight < .25 )
  {
    opts.Radiosity_Error_Bound += (.25 - Weight);
  }
  /* NK rad 22 Nov 1999 - switched to LayNormal */
  reuse = ra_reuse(IPoint, LayNormal, Ambient_Colour);
  opts.Radiosity_Error_Bound = save_bound;

So it won't be that difficult to add a function evaluation there.  But
don't forget that this could slow down things quite significantly.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______