POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mega-Pov or V3.5? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Mega-Pov or V3.5? (Message 49 to 58 of 108)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5?
Date: 29 Jan 2002 11:20:01
Message: <3c56cbb1@news.povray.org>
Ben Chambers <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
: The POV Team has made it very clear that they wanted to incorporate certain
: features (which everybody liked) into POV-Ray in a clean, efficient manner.
: To hear them write about it, the code in Mega POV is literally a wasteland
: of half-finished patches and undocumented shortcuts.  When they decided to
: incorporate these features into the official compile, most of them had to
: have their syntax reworked, and have their code rewritten, which is a lot of
: work.  They felt that actually getting these features into POV ~first~ was
: more important than the C++ rewrite that 4.0 seems to be.  Personally, I'm
: just glad I've got any version of POV - Great job, Team!

  These are the reason which also I think that pov3.5 is a superb work.

  Also remember that being an official version gives the program certain
status. Not all people want or like to use third-party programs and patches
but only officially distributed versions and this is understandable.

  Besides, pov3.5 is a really good testbed for pov4. Really many things have
been developed and implemented in 3.5 that might not have been implemented in
pov4 if 3.5 had not been made. 3.5 gives invaluable experience for the big
work of making pov4.