POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mega-Pov or V3.5? : Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 29 Jan 2002 18:11:07
Message: <chrishuff-15C418.18132529012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3C5613BD.4B8FA532@aol.com>, Dave Dunn <poi### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

> Is this some "insider" joke?

No.

> Let's take a look at what the "possibly not
> useful" features are that didn't make it into the 3.5 self-incrementing
> Beta (all of which work just fine thank you):

They don't. Most of them are incomplete, redundant, or simply get in the
way of future plans.

> MegaPOV 0.7
> Reflection blur - I've seen enough workarounds in these groups to know this
> is needed.

The "workarounds" are better: faster and more flexible. The patch was a
slow and incomplete hack. If this is ever implemented in an official
version, it will probably be much more flexible.

> Motion blur - okay, flawed, but certainly useful; I use it often.

Useful, but as you said, flawed, so it didn't get into 3.5.

> Blinn microfacets - superior to specular highlights in every way.

Not that superior, and there were reasons not to add it. The POV-Team
has mentioned they are considering a more general way of specifying this
sort of thing, though it won't reach POV 3.5.

> Heightfield_height_at (no way trace works better on hfs, sorry).

Sorry, the trace() function works better, in every single case. The
hf_height_at feature was only useful when trace() hadn't been added, now
it is a useless redundancy which probably won't make it into the next
MegaPOV.

> Text object enhancements (why use a macro when you can just use this?).

Because the macro will work on any object. If you decide you want a
union of a text object and a cylinder as an underline, you can do so
with no extra coding.

> Glows (Ahem, Chris, didn't you write this one? ; } ).

I converted the patch from POV AFX and heavily modified it. It is simply
not ready for an official release.

> POVMan
> ClothSim (How is 3.5 better than this?)
> Renderman-like Shaders (See falling star animations at p.b.a)

Not at all close to ready for the official version.

> MegaPOV Plus
> Particle_system (I know the author is around somewhere).

Again, nowhere near ready for 3.5. I'm actually waiting for 3.5 to be
released so I can finish this and the glow patch.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/