POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:28:27 EDT (-0400)
  Hi from DKBTrace author (Message 41 to 50 of 79)
From: Ben Chambers
Subject: Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
Date: 20 Jan 2001 19:20:38
Message: <3A6A2B6E.FB080A5F@hotmail.com>
Alessandro Coppo wrote:

> easily find one that suits you).... well, with new versions coming out at ~3
> years interval (glacial rate for OpenSource projects), and the current POV

What features are missing that you are waiting for?  I for one am against
releasing a program simply so you can say it was released recently;  if no
significant contribution has been made, why release another version?
And, if there _are_ features missing, can you easily obtain those features in an
unofficial version?  If so, then why are you complaining?

> license I am tempted not to find alternatives (can you spell Ray++ (LGPL) or
> Panorama (GPL) or Raja (GPL)?), but to write them. This is not an empty
> threat. I am currently working at a Java tool which completely (well, in the\

Sorry, but I almost laughed at the word "threat". :)  If you do not wish to use
POV-Ray, don't use it.  There are plenty of alternatives available, and each one
suits a different group of people.  If you are more fully satisfied with a
different piece of software, by all means use that software.

By the way, I just read the povlegal.doc, and I found it perfectly reasonable.
Basically, they say:  You can't make money off of POV-Ray.  Only the POV-Team
can publish official versions of POV-Ray (but you can publish unofficial ones).
You can't remove features from POV-Ray (making a 'crippled' distribution).  It
seems quite reasonable to me...  Which, exactly, are the portions you complain
of?

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message