POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:09:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: Peter Popov
Date: 21 Jan 2001 03:06:12
Message: <b73l6tcb675mjla5ibd9gr8q3nlcvrti3v@4ax.com>
On 20 Jan 2001 18:20:25 -0500, hoo### [at] hotmailcom (Hookflash)
wrote:

>Peter Popov mentioned that some parts of PovRay were written by
>people who can no longer be contacted, and therefore using their code
>without restriction (and without their permission) could lead to trouble.

I don't recall mentioning trouble. And I don't think anyone would
start causing trouble. There are moral issues involved, though.

>Well, I don't think these people would've contributed their code with that
>sort of attitude; and, even if they had, are they really going to take the
>time/effort to cause trouble?

I doubt they would but still it doesn't give anyone full rights over
these contributors' code.

>>And a much more "open" development model is planned for POV 4.0. For
>>more information, read the message "POV-Team Status Report - September
>>1, 2000" by Chris Cason in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions.

>This is a relief, but, at the current rate of PovRay development, I don't
>know if I'll live that long;-P

The POV Team members work on POV in whatever free time they can steal
from making a living and having a real life. They are doing it for
free. How would you feel if you were in their position and people keep
asking why development is slow? Think about it.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg