POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 20 Jan 2001 23:56:41
Message: <3A6A6B85.78379C22@videotron.ca>
Hookflash wrote:

> >Well, that *is* the answer...there is no way to predict the final
> >release date. All of the information has been given: it is not yet beta,
> >not all of the additions have been completed, but it will have most of
> >the new features of MegaPOV, the feature list has been frozen, the
> >features just have to be implemented and tested, and nobody knows when
> >it will reach beta, let alone final release.
>
> That's why I dislike the current development model... The only information
> we get about the process is whatever the developers decide to tell us.  I
> would prefer a more open, community-oriented approach (OpenSource,
> basically).

OpenSource does not mean that the development stages are done in the
open.  It means that once released, the code is available to everyone to
tinker with and reuse.

> >> I, personally, have no desire to strip out the renderer and use the
> >> parser or anything of the sort, but I don't really see what harm
> >> there would be in doing so.
> >
> >Basically: it wouldn't be POV-Ray any more. The harm would be in someone
> >pulling out the renderer to use in their own program or distributing
> >crippled versions.
>
> And what harm would there be in that?

You are using someone's work without their permission.

> If someone wants to use the renderer
> in their own program or distribute a crippled version, who cares?

The people who wrote the renderer seem to care enough to ask you in
POVLEGAL.DOC not to do it.

>  If it's
> not PovRay anymore, they can use a different name and logo.
>
> >It doesn't matter whether it will cause trouble or not, their permission
> >should be obtained first. Similarly, it doesn't matter if you think they
> >wouldn't mind.
>
> How can we obtain their permission when we can't contact them?

Hence the reason why you can't reuse their code.

> >I assure you, development *is* being done on it. POV-Ray hasn't been
> >abandoned.
> >But also remember that the POV-Team is doing this as a hobby in their
> >free time...they do not make money off of it, and in many cases spend
> >money on it. If you want the latest, go get MegaPOV.
>
> I appreciate the work the PovTeam is doing, but I think it would be easier
> on them *and* the community if we had a more open development model.  Of
> coarse, I could be wrong (it's happened once or twice before... j/k;-)

What do you mean by "a more open development model" exactly?

--
Francois Labreque | In the future, performance will be measured
    flabreque     | by the size of your pipe.