POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 21 Jan 2001 01:42:49
Message: <3A6A849E.8792403@skynet.be>
Hookflash wrote:

> That's why I dislike the current development model... The only information
> we get about the process is whatever the developers decide to tell us.  I
> would prefer a more open, community-oriented approach (OpenSource,
> basically).  But maybe that's just my preference.

As a user, I would not like POV-Ray to become as clumsy as most
open source projects, where you have things like :
 latest build : 3.1.1.5b
 latest stable build : 3.0.1a

Users of POV-Ray needs compatibility of scenes, and needs to count
on stable, reliable, coherent versions of their software. I would
not like to have to choose between "RedHat POV-Ray", "POV-Ray Suse",
"Corel POV", etc..  Before MegaPOV, there were several patches
availiable, and it was sometimes a headache for advanced users,
to choose between availiable features frome one or another.

The current situation, with an official, officially supported,
version (3.1g), and a semi-official, full of new features version
(MP), is fine, from a user point of view.

Fabien.