POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Could not create image buffer? Server Time
19 May 2024 01:58:03 EDT (-0400)
  Could not create image buffer? (Message 14 to 23 of 23)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Could not create image buffer?
Date: 3 Dec 2000 00:57:12
Message: <3a29e0b8$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3A29C104.C8B37565@mac.com> , Dawn McKnight <McK### [at] maccom>
wrote:

>> I didn't want to spend much time on
>> this, so I kept it short originally, just gave him the solution and pointed
>> out that he could have found the answer in the documentation,
>
> First of all, just for the record, I'm a woman.  Dawn is not typically a male
> name

Ups, I am sorry, I did not know!

> However, I did not feel that you 'just' gave me the solution and..., but that
> you gave me the solution

I have to admit I am usually very direct, and this might occasionally come
through as being unfriendly.  I am always that way, and it is never personal
or meant to be offensive.

> and a ration of attitude.

Well, yes...

> I don't apreciate being told that if I had just thought about it a little
> more, I could have come up with the solution... mainly because I think quite
> thoughoughly about /everything/ before I post here.

Unfortunately, few users do so - at least it appears that way.

If you are not sure if something is just something simple you are missing,
post it there and you don't need to be afraid to be asking the wrong
question.  If it is too advanced, don't worry there, you will still get a
good answer all the time.  There is nothing wrong with being inexperienced
with POV-Ray and a simple informal agreement in the POV-Ray newsgroups is to
never say RTFM to users in the povray.newusers groups :-)

However, I should also say that the question you had is not a typical new
users question - to create a scene that exhausts the default memory
assignment of about 8 MB requires at least some time with POV-Ray, so I also
assumed you already ran in memory problems long before based on other users'
reports during the past few years...

> I am a woman in a male dominated field; I am paranoid about asking stupid
> questions, largely because of responses such as yours.

Hmm, you could not have known that I did not know you are a woman prior to
my last post, so given how you had to interpret my initial reply I can fully
understand your reply and that you were offended.  I agree with you that a
reply like mine if made only because you are a woman would be complete
inappropriate.

As you now know, I did not know you are a woman and I can assure you no
offence was intended! -- I have to apologise for not noticing this earlier,
as it would have avoided the whole problem :-(

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.