POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Could not create image buffer? : Is Povray Open Source (was: Could not create image buffer?) Server Time
2 Jun 2024 06:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Is Povray Open Source (was: Could not create image buffer?)
From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 8 Dec 2000 08:01:18
Message: <slrn931h0p.8pa.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On 7 Dec 2000 06:40:16 -0500, Warp wrote:
>Peter J. Holzer <hjp### [at] sikituwsracat> wrote:
>: I will continue to think of Povray as Open Source Software.
>
>  I thought that you could use the source code (or parts of it) of this
>kind of Open Source Software in your own programs.
>  You can't do it with povray.

From the OSD:

The Povray license clearly allows modifications and derived works, and
it allows them to be redistributed under the same license.

It even gives the same reason "2) promote experimentation and
development of new features to the core code which might eventually be
incorporated into the official version" as the rationale of the OSD.

BUT: While most Open Source Licenses have a wide definition of "derived
works" (The GPL sees anything as a derived work which contains a tiny
bit of the original code or is even only linked with it), the Povray
license has a very narrow definition: "a fully functional version of
POV-Ray with all existing features intact." So, Megapov or Povman are
ok, but a modeller which uses only the parser code from povray is not
ok.

Because of this narrow definition, I listed this point as "A partial
match at best".

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Es war nicht Gegenstand der Abstimmung zu

__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |	-- Johannes Schwenke <jby### [at] ginkode>