POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : modest problem Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  modest problem (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Matt Giwer
Subject: Re: modest answer
Date: 2 Nov 2000 23:48:56
Message: <3A0243B9.433B1C0E@ij.net>
I follow the rule of finish{ambient 0} and it looks very dark to dull.
To make it look halfway like the original image I have to go the
light_source as  rgb<1,1,1>*3 and *5 isn't that bad.

	OK, I am still missing something as that should not be necessary,
right?

	And if it is necessary, what am I missing regarding the consistant
nature of the scene language? Was ambient originally a hack?

	Attachment indented for the purist at heart. This is a side view that
will give essentially the effect I desire.

	BTW: congrats, I guess, to the developer of the type 1 mapping for
first converting the image to a square or whatever the trick was to
avoid the need for scaling a rectangular image to a sphere.

	And if you do not have a picture of the earth around to see the effect
it is simply the earth with a light and dark side and the shaded
transition from light to dark. Just stick in any image and look at the
lit hemisphere with *3 compared to *5 and see it is clearly less of half
than it should be.

--
If there is anything that makes life complicated it is
trying to find decisions other than pragmatic. We appeal

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)