POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : modest problem : Re: modest answer Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:25:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: modest answer
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 3 Nov 2000 22:55:07
Message: <3A0389B2.3363858A@unforgettable.com>
Matt Giwer wrote:

> Xplo Eristotle wrote:
> >
> > Matt Giwer wrote:
> > >
> > >         I follow the rule of finish{ambient 0} and it looks very dark to dull.
> > > To make it look halfway like the original image I have to go the
> > > light_source as  rgb<1,1,1>*3 and *5 isn't that bad.
> >
> > Try setting the sphere's diffuse to 1 (the default is .6, for some reason).
>
>         Increasing diffuse to 3 helps greatly.

An rgb 1 light that hits an rgb 1 surface with a diffuse of 1 and an
ambient of 0 should produce pure white. The fact that you need to
"overcharge" the lighting simulation suggests to me that you're using
light fading, shining the light through a partially transparent object
or absorbing media, or using a very dark image as a texture. I can see
from the code that the first two aren't the case, so I suspect it's the
third one.

-Xplo