POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : modest problem : Re: modest problem Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: modest problem
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 3 Nov 2000 02:41:40
Message: <3A026D49.26F83A45@unforgettable.com>
Matt Giwer wrote:

> If there is no
> illumination, why should anything be visible regardless of the ambient?
> I just want things to behave according to the scene description.

They *do* behave according to the scene description.

Ambient *is* illumination. It's directly added to whatever object(s) you
tell it to affect. In this case, since you've set the ambient of the
sphere to .5, the entire sphere is being illuminated by a constant,
directionless gray light. As someone else has mentioned, you could think
of it as "glowing".

If you were to shine a point light on this sphere, then every point on
the sphere would receive its normal illumination from the light, PLUS an
additional .5 from the ambient lighting.

This is one of the simplest concepts in POV-Ray, IMO. What part of it
*don't* you get?

-Xplo