POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blasted infernal image maps III Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:06:05 EDT (-0400)
  Blasted infernal image maps III (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Blasted infernal image maps III
Date: 21 Aug 2000 09:23:05
Message: <39A12C03.67836EED@my-dejanews.com>
I want a mesh object to have a texture, say
    #declare Texture001= .........................

And then to have an image map applied as a decal in one small place on
it. (Application: a serial number on a military object).

How do I do this?

Simply puting an image map ontop of or after the texture declaration
makes the whole object transparent!

Also, what should the image be?  I want a text decal, so I made it a TGA
in a paint program, where I "masked out" the non-letter parts of the
image.

BTW I did RFTM. It is _____________.

Post a reply to this message

> I want a mesh object to have a texture, say
>     #declare Texture001= .........................
>
> And then to have an image map applied as a decal in one small place on
> it. (Application: a serial number on a military object).
>
> How do I do this?
>
> Simply puting an image map ontop of or after the texture declaration
> makes the whole object transparent!

Are you sure ?

If you use the image_map texture as the top layer in a layered texture, things
should work.

> Also, what should the image be?  I want a text decal, so I made it a TGA
> in a paint program, where I "masked out" the non-letter parts of the
> image.

You should make it a 256 color png and use:

  image_map {
    png "mypic.png"
    once
    transmit 1, 1.0
  }

then all pixels with index 1 are completely transparent.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>