POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I dont believe I did that! Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  I dont believe I did that! (Message 27 to 36 of 36)
From: Nathan Kopp
Subject: Re: I dont believe I did that!
Date: 13 Aug 2000 13:12:15
Message: <3996d6ef$1@news.povray.org>
"Anton Sherwood" <bro### [at] poboxcom> wrote...
> Nathan Kopp wrote:
> > The mapping is (if I did the math correctly):
> > old_value = (new_value / 0.48985582) - 1.05242 + 0.5
>
> what is the significance of these numbers?

They are a result of some tests that Xander did on the "old" noise3d
function.  The function itself has more flaws (such as a grid pattern that
you can see if you look closely).

Actually, 0.5 should probably have been used instead of 0.48985582 and 1.0
should probably have been used instead of 1.05242.  I don't know enough
about the original function to know details, though.  The issue is that the
range of the original function was incorrect.

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message