POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I dont believe I did that! : Re: I dont believe I did that! Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I dont believe I did that!
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 21 Aug 2000 03:04:43
Message: <39A0D4C8.F70BAD0F@aetec.ee>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> The algorithm that produces the fractal pattern for DNoise and Noise is very
> similar.  DNoise produces a vector of noise, while Noise produces a single
> output.
>
> The algorithm itself basically produces an output in the range of
> approximately [-1,1].  This is what DNoise wants for each component, so it
> doesn't change anything.  However, Noise needs to change it to [0,1] for use
> in a pattern.  However, in the official conversion, the change is incorrect,
> and it over-saturates the top end.  MegaPov just fixes the conversion.

Ah, so DNoise values are supposed to be between -1 and 1? Indeed, If I
think about it, then in official version its range was not changed
either.

> The old version simply adds 0.5, while the new version (for all practical
> purposes) adds 1 and then divides by two.
By old You mean official version (3.02??) and by new 3.5?
Are those constants, found by Xander and used in MegaPOV, removed in new
version and (+1)/2 used instead?