POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam (Message 1 to 10 of 60)
From: The Ellis Family
Subject: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam
Date: 4 Jul 2000 12:44:46
Message: <39621381.7014@spamlesshotmail.com>
Recently, a thread about the cooperation of the PovTeam & the creator of
Lightflow has emerged in this newsgroup.  Many people seem to feel that
the Lightflow license is too restrictive (it doesn't allow a person to
sell images they create with it), and that, for this reason, Povray &
Moray should have nothing to do with it.  I'd like to make a few points:

#1. Very few people (actually, none that I know of) actually make money
using PovRay and/or Moray.  In fact, most people seem to prefer to
*share* their images/source with the rest of the Pov community.

#2. Lightflow is vastly superior to PovRay in certain areas (just look
at Lightflow's surface engine), and I think PovRay would definately
benefit from a merger of some sort.

#3. Given the huge delay between releases, I think it's safe to say the
PovTeam is in need of more programmers.  And, let's face it, the author
of Lightflow has, in a mere 5 years, single handedly implemented
features (such as distributed rendering, an accessible api, and *real*
radiosity) that the PovTeam can only dream about (no offense to the
PovTeam intended; the entire Pov community appreciates their efforts).

Don't get me wrong, I like PovRay, but I sense a growing lack of
interest amongst members of the PovTeam (of coarse, I could be way off
on this).  Also, PovRay *needs* an accessible api (I realize that this
would be difficult to implement in a portable way), and perhaps this api
could be accessed via Python.  And, most importantly, there needs to be
more interaction between the PovTeam and the Pov community.  Every 2 or
3 weeks, the PovTeam could report on the progress of the next release
(is this too much to ask?).  Of coarse, this is all just imho;-)

Hookflash

Post a reply to this message

> Recently, a thread about the cooperation of the PovTeam & the creator of
> Lightflow has emerged in this newsgroup.  Many people seem to feel that
> the Lightflow license is too restrictive (it doesn't allow a person to
> sell images they create with it), and that, for this reason, Povray &
> Moray should have nothing to do with it.  I'd like to make a few points:
>
> #1. Very few people (actually, none that I know of) actually make money
> using PovRay and/or Moray.  In fact, most people seem to prefer to
> *share* their images/source with the rest of the Pov community.
>
> #2. Lightflow is vastly superior to PovRay in certain areas (just look
> at Lightflow's surface engine), and I think PovRay would definately
> benefit from a merger of some sort.
>
> #3. Given the huge delay between releases, I think it's safe to say the
> PovTeam is in need of more programmers.  And, let's face it, the author
> of Lightflow has, in a mere 5 years, single handedly implemented
> features (such as distributed rendering, an accessible api, and *real*
> radiosity) that the PovTeam can only dream about (no offense to the
> PovTeam intended; the entire Pov community appreciates their efforts).
>
> Don't get me wrong, I like PovRay, but I sense a growing lack of
> interest amongst members of the PovTeam (of coarse, I could be way off
> on this).  Also, PovRay *needs* an accessible api (I realize that this
> would be difficult to implement in a portable way), and perhaps this api
> could be accessed via Python.  And, most importantly, there needs to be
> more interaction between the PovTeam and the Pov community.  Every 2 or
> 3 weeks, the PovTeam could report on the progress of the next release
> (is this too much to ask?).  Of coarse, this is all just imho;-)
>
> Hookflash

I suggest you read Thorsten's recent reply to the thread "responce to lack"
in povray.windows. It will aquaint you with the difficulties of writting
a distributed rendering solution as well as it will give you an insight
into the operations and goals of the POV-Team in general. After reading
that if you still have critisisms you might address them individually to
that thread and the topics it covers.