POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam : Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 4 Jul 2000 15:43:14
Message: <39623CF5.751809DB@skynet.be>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> When POV-Ray 3.1 we could have said we just take the next three years or so,
> develop a completely new POV-Ray and there won't be any releases in the mean
> time.  We did not do this because of the users of POV-Ray.  The idea was and
> still is that many, many users do not need all the features at once and are
> not willing to wait for them three years or more.  POV-Ray 3.5 will be one
> intermediate step between a giant leap: POV-Ray 4.0.

Just a tought : it seems to me that MegaPOV, since it exists, has
somewhat
fullfilled the desire for more frequent upgrades; it's stable, reliable,
and has plenty of great additionnal features over the official release.
Maybe this could be a good developpement strategy : a famous unofficial
version for the purpose of experimentation, with frequent public
updates,
and, on the other side, the POV-Team (the "real thing" !!) working
quietly,
taking its time, on more profound changes, behind the MegaPOV curtain...
(but I realize that it can't be as simple as that, given, amongst other
issues, that some people develops in MegaPOV _and_ in the POV-Team...)

Fabien.