POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam : Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam
From: Ken
Date: 4 Jul 2000 13:13:52
Message: <39621A3B.489DCF1D@pacbell.net>
The Ellis Family wrote:

> Recently, a thread about the cooperation of the PovTeam & the creator of
> Lightflow has emerged in this newsgroup.  Many people seem to feel that
> the Lightflow license is too restrictive (it doesn't allow a person to
> sell images they create with it), and that, for this reason, Povray &
> Moray should have nothing to do with it.  I'd like to make a few points:
>
> #1. Very few people (actually, none that I know of) actually make money
> using PovRay and/or Moray.  In fact, most people seem to prefer to
> *share* their images/source with the rest of the Pov community.
>
> #2. Lightflow is vastly superior to PovRay in certain areas (just look
> at Lightflow's surface engine), and I think PovRay would definately
> benefit from a merger of some sort.
>
> #3. Given the huge delay between releases, I think it's safe to say the
> PovTeam is in need of more programmers.  And, let's face it, the author
> of Lightflow has, in a mere 5 years, single handedly implemented
> features (such as distributed rendering, an accessible api, and *real*
> radiosity) that the PovTeam can only dream about (no offense to the
> PovTeam intended; the entire Pov community appreciates their efforts).
>
> Don't get me wrong, I like PovRay, but I sense a growing lack of
> interest amongst members of the PovTeam (of coarse, I could be way off
> on this).  Also, PovRay *needs* an accessible api (I realize that this
> would be difficult to implement in a portable way), and perhaps this api
> could be accessed via Python.  And, most importantly, there needs to be
> more interaction between the PovTeam and the Pov community.  Every 2 or
> 3 weeks, the PovTeam could report on the progress of the next release
> (is this too much to ask?).  Of coarse, this is all just imho;-)
>
> Hookflash

I suggest you read Thorsten's recent reply to the thread "responce to lack"
in povray.windows. It will aquaint you with the difficulties of writting
a distributed rendering solution as well as it will give you an insight
into the operations and goals of the POV-Team in general. After reading
that if you still have critisisms you might address them individually to
that thread and the topics it covers.