POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Normal Animated Water? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Normal Animated Water? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Equiprawn
Subject: Normal Animated Water?
Date: 5 Mar 2000 06:12:15
Message: <38c2410f@news.povray.org>
Hallo,

Sorry, this one is probably asked a *lot*, but I can't find anything on the
web. I want to have a sphere just floating in the air with a rippling whater
surface. It doesn't need to be to realistic, so normals will do just fine.

However, I had always thought that the way you got a ripling water effect
was to cycle the phase modifier for the normal from 0 to 1. But when I did
this (in  Moray) using a bozo normal, my pattern stayed fixed, and this kind
of hard line just moved about the texture. What am I doing wrong? What is
the correct way to get animeted rippling water using normals?

And just a quick aside question, bould it be possible to use my final
animated normal as input to a isosurface sphere to get rippling geometry?

Thanks,

Equiprawn

Post a reply to this message

"Equiprawn" <equ### [at] tinetie> wrote :
> But when I did
> this (in  Moray) using a bozo normal, my pattern stayed fixed, and this
kind
> of hard line just moved about the texture.

    You might want to actually use ripple or wave since they have a more
graduated edge. If you want them to move inside the limits of a bozo, you
might want to use a texture_map with a ripple inside a bozo.

Post a reply to this message

> However, I had always thought that the way you got a ripling water
> effect was to cycle the phase modifier for the normal from 0 to 1.
> But when I did this (in  Moray) using a bozo normal, my pattern
> stayed fixed, and this kind of hard line just moved about the
> texture. What am I doing wrong? What is the correct way to get
> animeted rippling water using normals?

Have you tried other patterns? Maybe you should try using ripples or
waves, or maybe wrinkles. Also, you can use a phase higher than 1 to get
more cycles.

> And just a quick aside question, bould it be possible to use my final
> animated normal as input to a isosurface sphere to get rippling geometry?

No...but you can use the same pattern in a pigment as part of an
isosurface function. This is untested, but should get you started:
#declare WaveFunc =
function {
    pigment {wrinkles phase clock*3
        color_map {
            [0 color Black]
            [1 color White]
        }
    }
}
#declare WaveDepth = 0.3;

isosurface {
    function {sqrt(sqr(x) + sqr(y) + sqr(z)) - 1
        - (WaveFunc(x, y, z)*WaveDepth)
    }
}

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom

Post a reply to this message

Some patterns can't use 'phase', as the Windows Help says, it can't be applied
to patterns which don't work with normal_map or slope_map.
Look for 'phase' then check under Frequency and Phase, near the end it tells
what can and can't do.  Curiously it doesn't say 'bozo' will not work with it
though.

Bob

"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
| In article <38c2410f@news.povray.org>, "Equiprawn" <equ### [at] tinetie>
| wrote:
|
| > However, I had always thought that the way you got a ripling water
| > effect was to cycle the phase modifier for the normal from 0 to 1.
| > But when I did this (in  Moray) using a bozo normal, my pattern
| > stayed fixed, and this kind of hard line just moved about the
| > texture. What am I doing wrong? What is the correct way to get
| > animeted rippling water using normals?
|
| Have you tried other patterns? Maybe you should try using ripples or
| waves, or maybe wrinkles. Also, you can use a phase higher than 1 to get
| more cycles.
|

| > And just a quick aside question, bould it be possible to use my final
| > animated normal as input to a isosurface sphere to get rippling geometry?
|
| No...but you can use the same pattern in a pigment as part of an
| isosurface function. This is untested, but should get you started:
| #declare WaveFunc =
| function {
|     pigment {wrinkles phase clock*3
|         color_map {
|             [0 color Black]
|             [1 color White]
|         }
|     }
| }
| #declare WaveDepth = 0.3;
|
| isosurface {
|     function {sqrt(sqr(x) + sqr(y) + sqr(z)) - 1
|         - (WaveFunc(x, y, z)*WaveDepth)
|     }
| }
|
| --
| Chris Huff
| e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
| Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/

Post a reply to this message

Just to update on this.  The 'bozo' pattern as a pigment appears to be okay with
'phase'.  It does not shift when used as a 'normal' pattern.  This in WinPov 3.1
anyhow.  The Docs don't seem to actually list this out anywhere but gives an
idea as to what types of pattern will not work with phase.  Obviously the Docs
are never 100% the answer to every question but then nothing is.

Bob

"Bob Hughes" <omn### [at] hotmailcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in message
| Some patterns can't use 'phase', as the Windows Help says, it can't be applied
| to patterns which don't work with normal_map or slope_map.
| Look for 'phase' then check under Frequency and Phase, near the end it tells
| what can and can't do.  Curiously it doesn't say 'bozo' will not work with it
| though.
|
| Bob
|
| "Chris Huff" <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
| | In article <38c2410f@news.povray.org>, "Equiprawn" <equ### [at] tinetie>
| | wrote:
| |
| | > However, I had always thought that the way you got a ripling water
| | > effect was to cycle the phase modifier for the normal from 0 to 1.
| | > But when I did this (in  Moray) using a bozo normal, my pattern
| | > stayed fixed, and this kind of hard line just moved about the
| | > texture. What am I doing wrong? What is the correct way to get
| | > animeted rippling water using normals?
| |
| | Have you tried other patterns? Maybe you should try using ripples or
| | waves, or maybe wrinkles. Also, you can use a phase higher than 1 to get
| | more cycles.
| |
| |
| | > And just a quick aside question, bould it be possible to use my final
| | > animated normal as input to a isosurface sphere to get rippling geometry?
| |
| | No...but you can use the same pattern in a pigment as part of an
| | isosurface function. This is untested, but should get you started:
| | #declare WaveFunc =
| | function {
| |     pigment {wrinkles phase clock*3
| |         color_map {
| |             [0 color Black]
| |             [1 color White]
| |         }
| |     }
| | }
| | #declare WaveDepth = 0.3;
| |
| | isosurface {
| |     function {sqrt(sqr(x) + sqr(y) + sqr(z)) - 1
| |         - (WaveFunc(x, y, z)*WaveDepth)
| |     }
| | }
| |