POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release Server Time
13 Aug 2024 16:24:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release (Message 1 to 10 of 45)
From: Ronald L  Parker
Subject: Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release
Date: 16 Oct 1998 00:32:01
Message: <3628bc7a.1679531@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998 03:25:06 GMT, mr_### [at] hotmailcom (Benny
Sanjaya) wrote:

>Why This nice raytracing doesn't support SHADERS plugins... ?
>Please make povray able to use BMRT SHADERS :) in the future :)
>
>people PLEASE support me :)

Why should we support you if you can't have the common decency to pick
one or two relevant groups and limit your crossposts?

That said, there was a patch for POV 2.2 that purported to support at
least part of the Renderman Shading Language, though attempts to port
it to 3.0 were unsuccessful, to say the least.

There are a couple of major stumbling blocks to a successful
implementation of RSL, not the least of which is the problem of POV
not having access to some of the special variables that are considered
standard in a shader.  For example, there are u, v, du, dv, dPdu,
dPdv...  These are all meaningless when POV doesn't have u-v texture
mapping.

Post a reply to this message

par### [at] mailfwicom (Ronald L. Parker) wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Oct 1998 03:25:06 GMT, mr_### [at] hotmailcom (Benny
>Sanjaya) wrote:
>
>>Why This nice raytracing doesn't support SHADERS plugins... ?
>>Please make povray able to use BMRT SHADERS :) in the future :)
>>
>>people PLEASE support me :)
>
>Why should we support you if you can't have the common decency to pick
>one or two relevant groups and limit your crossposts?

Exactly my opinion. Excessive cross-posting is a PITA and is one of the few
things that will get an article on this server deleted (as I just did to his
original post).

Post a reply to this message

> >>Why This nice raytracing doesn't support SHADERS plugins... ?
> >>Please make povray able to use BMRT SHADERS :) in the future :)
> >>
> >>people PLEASE support me :)

> ...Excessive cross-posting is a PITA and is one of the few
> things that will get an article on this server deleted...

EXCESSIVE smiley faces :):):) and CAPITALIZATION :):) are HOPEFULLY
some of the others :):):).

Post a reply to this message

> That said, there was a patch for POV 2.2 that purported to support at
> least part of the Renderman Shading Language, though attempts to port
> it to 3.0 were unsuccessful, to say the least.
>
> There are a couple of major stumbling blocks to a successful
> implementation of RSL, not the least of which is the problem of POV
> not having access to some of the special variables that are considered
> standard in a shader.  For example, there are u, v, du, dv, dPdu,
> dPdv...  These are all meaningless when POV doesn't have u-v texture
> mapping.

Has this situation changed with the addition of UV mapping to MegaPov ?

I announced the existence of the POV-Ray Tag on the IRTC mailing list
yesterday and within 2 hrs. got a request for programmable shaders :)