POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release : Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release Server Time
13 Aug 2024 08:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 16 Oct 1998 00:32:01
Message: <3628bc7a.1679531@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998 03:25:06 GMT, mr_### [at] hotmailcom (Benny
Sanjaya) wrote:

>Why This nice raytracing doesn't support SHADERS plugins... ?
>Please make povray able to use BMRT SHADERS :) in the future :)
>
>people PLEASE support me :)

Why should we support you if you can't have the common decency to pick
one or two relevant groups and limit your crossposts?

That said, there was a patch for POV 2.2 that purported to support at
least part of the Renderman Shading Language, though attempts to port
it to 3.0 were unsuccessful, to say the least.

There are a couple of major stumbling blocks to a successful
implementation of RSL, not the least of which is the problem of POV
not having access to some of the special variables that are considered
standard in a shader.  For example, there are u, v, du, dv, dPdu,
dPdv...  These are all meaningless when POV doesn't have u-v texture
mapping.