POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release : Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release Server Time
13 Aug 2024 08:13:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release
From: Ron Parker
Date: 22 Jan 2000 11:11:04
Message: <slrn88jlfo.v8.ron.parker@parkerr.fwi.com>
On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 05:02:32 -0800, Ken wrote:

>"Ronald L. Parker" wrote:
>
>> That said, there was a patch for POV 2.2 that purported to support at
>> least part of the Renderman Shading Language, though attempts to port
>> it to 3.0 were unsuccessful, to say the least.
>>
>> There are a couple of major stumbling blocks to a successful
>> implementation of RSL, not the least of which is the problem of POV
>> not having access to some of the special variables that are considered
>> standard in a shader.  For example, there are u, v, du, dv, dPdu,
>> dPdv...  These are all meaningless when POV doesn't have u-v texture
>> mapping.
>
>Has this situation changed with the addition of UV mapping to MegaPov ?

To some extent, but not entirely.  If UV mapping applied to all objects,
it would be a good start.  But we still need du, dv, dPdu, dPdv, etc.
which we can probably best get by implementing differential tracing.
Don't worry, the POV-Team isn't ignoring the requests to make shading
more powerful for some future version (not 3.5!) but the final result
might not be RSL.  Don't ask for more informationon this, as more
information does not exist.