POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stone and Brick on non-flat surfaces Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Stone and Brick on non-flat surfaces (Message 11 to 19 of 19)
From: Philip Bartol
Subject: Re: Stone and Brick on non-flat surfaces
Date: 12 Aug 1999 00:50:59
Message: <37b252b3@news.povray.org>
In article <37B21CF0.F2E8FBD9@enter.net>, Charles <cfu### [at] enternet> wrote:
>There are two approaches to this problem, depending on the look the
:
>with each level anyway... or make a map of a single row of bricks
>and fit this to each in a stack of cylinders which just happen to
>get smaller near the top, making it more like a pseudo-cone out of
>ever narrowing rings of bricks, which to my mind would look more

The internal brick pattern in POV won't work radially will it? I'd have to use
some sort of mapping (image, pattern, etc) wrapped around the cone/cylinder,
right?

I'm thinking one image (a row of stones) could be mapped onto a cone that was
just the height of the image and then scale the image around the
circumfrance <SP?> of the cone for each row, between that and some rotation it
should stagger the stones and the incline on the cone wouldn't be so steep as
to distort the image too badly.

Using cylinders would be more accurate, but softening the edges around the
stones would be a mess, then again, I'd have to test-render it, the hard edge
might not even show up in a final render.

The bricks on a cone I think I'll just not worry about now, I think I've
decided on stucco as a finish (once I perfect it), kind of a painted rough
surface with hairline cracks in it. It's for a lighthouse, many (most) are
painted brick... Stucco I think would be an acceptable finish for it.

PHIL

-----[ to reply, the domain name is "concentric.net" ]-----
Spelling mistakes brought to you courtesy of the
Allentown Public School System.

Post a reply to this message