POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : inclined Prism ? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  inclined Prism ? (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: eric
Subject: inclined Prism ?
Date: 24 Aug 1999 17:50:39
Message: <37c313af@news.povray.org>
How to make an incline prism with POVray ?

I can find in User's guide how to make a prism with a base in a plan, and
going 'upward' (i.e if the base is in x,z plan, the moving axis of the prism
is along the y vector.

Buit how can I do a prism inclined like the Pise tower ? (with, for instance
a moving vector incline with 20 degrees to an axis..).

Is my only choice is to use a mesh or a straight prism cut by 'inclined
boxes' ? That would be very long and tedious compared to my simple polygonal
base and prism shape...

I could use SPatch, but I need a rigorous definition of the polygonal base,
and in SPatch I can't define coordinates other than by moving the cursor and
counting the grid marks....

Thanks you for your help.

Post a reply to this message

What is wrong with simply rotating the prism?

Post a reply to this message

You can shear the prism with a matrix transformation. Something like:

matrix < 1, 1, 0,
         0, 1, 0,
         0, 0, 1,
         0, 0, 0 >

Margus

eric wrote:

> How to make an incline prism with POVray ?
>
> I can find in User's guide how to make a prism with a base in a plan, and
> going 'upward' (i.e if the base is in x,z plan, the moving axis of the prism
> is along the y vector.
>
> Buit how can I do a prism inclined like the Pise tower ? (with, for instance
> a moving vector incline with 20 degrees to an axis..).
>
> Is my only choice is to use a mesh or a straight prism cut by 'inclined
> boxes' ? That would be very long and tedious compared to my simple polygonal
> base and prism shape...
>
> I could use SPatch, but I need a rigorous definition of the polygonal base,
> and in SPatch I can't define coordinates other than by moving the cursor and
> counting the grid marks....
>
> Thanks you for your help.

Post a reply to this message

> How to make an incline prism with POVray ?
>
> I can find in User's guide how to make a prism with a base in a plan,
> and
> going 'upward' (i.e if the base is in x,z plan, the moving axis of the
> prism
> is along the y vector.
>
> Buit how can I do a prism inclined like the Pise tower ? (with, for
> instance
> a moving vector incline with 20 degrees to an axis..).
>
> Is my only choice is to use a mesh or a straight prism cut by
> 'inclined
> boxes' ? That would be very long and tedious compared to my simple
> polygonal
> base and prism shape...

matrix transformation should do the job.

ReVerSi

Post a reply to this message