POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Complicated Question Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:26:18 EDT (-0400)
  Complicated Question (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Hube
Subject: Complicated Question
Date: 17 Aug 1999 15:02:20
Message: <37B9B0D4.C4679DD3@borg.com>
If I wanted to create an imaginary solar system,
and I had all of the info about rotations and
angles and all the stuff you'd need to know for
such a thing. Could I create it with povray? Could
I set it up to give me the view from a certain
point on a certain world in the system? for
instance. Tour standing on Saturn, looking up at
the sky. Is it dark or light, can you see the
rings, which of the moons are out tonight and what
phase are they in. Would any of this be possible?

Hube

Post a reply to this message

> If I wanted to create an imaginary solar system,
> and I had all of the info about rotations and
> angles and all the stuff you'd need to know for
> such a thing. Could I create it with povray? Could
> I set it up to give me the view from a certain
> point on a certain world in the system? for
> instance. Tour standing on Saturn, looking up at
> the sky. Is it dark or light, can you see the
> rings, which of the moons are out tonight and what
> phase are they in. Would any of this be possible?
>
> Hube

 It certainly is possible in fact it has been done many times. The only thing
you need to be careful about if the scale of the solor system. The program
has an epsilon value that will limit great distances and make some of the
outer planets dissapear. The way to avoid this is by scaling your solar
system down and it should pose no problem to you.

Browse through the i.r.t.c. and you should find many examples of peoples
work with star systems. http://irtc.org

--
Ken Tyler

See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

If you have all the data, then any of this is possible.

Hube wrote:

> If I wanted to create an imaginary solar system,
> and I had all of the info about rotations and
> angles and all the stuff you'd need to know for
> such a thing. Could I create it with povray? Could
> I set it up to give me the view from a certain
> point on a certain world in the system? for
> instance. Tour standing on Saturn, looking up at
> the sky. Is it dark or light, can you see the
> rings, which of the moons are out tonight and what
> phase are they in. Would any of this be possible?
>
> Hube

Post a reply to this message