POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Complicated Question : Re: Complicated Question Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complicated Question
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 20 Aug 1999 07:53:53
Message: <37bd41d1@news.povray.org>
Well, not to put a damper on this but scaling down can cause possible
difficulties on primitives (ie. disappearing sphere at about 0.001
unit scale). Probably can fit the typical planetary system into
POV-Ray without too much concern though and it has been done before as
Ken said. The best advice I can think of (since you are saying you
already have all the data :) is that you will no doubt want to get a
good grasp of the camera for zooming in/out and position/look_at. The
orientations can be a trick, nothing I can say to help out I think.
But most of all, to see the tiny specks those planets and moons will
make is going to require much tolerance adjustment I think. At normal
perspective distant planets won't show up readily without being
somehow artificially oversized during that particular "normal"
viewing, something like what Nieminen has said. The rendered singular
pixels have a tendancy to flicker on and off (just as in animations,
only single frame here) so they either show on the display or not.
Because of these sorts of things having the data isn't everything,
whether it be POV-Ray or other programs I'm pretty sure. It's because
of the 3D nature and limitations of the calculated objects.
But I digress, and rant, and rave....... so, I'll just wish you good
fortune with your endevour. But first, I leave you with this URL to a
POV Planetarium:

 http://home.global.co.za/~mvds/software.htm

Bob

news:37B### [at] pacbellnet...