POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Suggestion: blur Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Feature Suggestion: blur (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Subject: Feature Suggestion: blur
Date: 8 Aug 1999 22:11:21
Message: <37AE38EE.57B1@unforgettable.com>
I was thinking about reflection and transparency effects the other day
and it occurred to me that many real objects aren't perfectly
transparent or reflective.. consider a moderately-polished wooden table,
or a lollipop. Yet, I know of no way to simulate this effect in POV-Ray.

My proposal is simple enough: the addition of a "blur" keyword, which
could be used inside of a finish (blurry reflection) or an interior
(blurry substance). I imagine that the easiest way to do this would be
with a variation on the focal blur or antialiasing code.

Of course, generating blur would increase render times, but.. well,
that's the price you pay...

-Xplo

Post a reply to this message

> I was thinking about reflection and transparency effects the other day
> and it occurred to me that many real objects aren't perfectly
> transparent or reflective.. consider a moderately-polished wooden table,
> or a lollipop. Yet, I know of no way to simulate this effect in POV-Ray.
>
> My proposal is simple enough: the addition of a "blur" keyword, which
> could be used inside of a finish (blurry reflection) or an interior
> (blurry substance). I imagine that the easiest way to do this would be
> with a variation on the focal blur or antialiasing code.
>
> Of course, generating blur would increase render times, but.. well,
> that's the price you pay...
>
> -Xplo

  There is a blurred reflection patch floating around somewhere but I don't
remember which one off hand.

--
Ken Tyler
I know you are but what am I ? <Unknown child>

Post a reply to this message

>   There is a blurred reflection patch floating around somewhere but I don't
> remember which one off hand.

It's in the superpatch: http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/superpatch/

Since Ron sent the source to the Superpatch to the Pov team it might
be included in Pov v3.5 but there are no gaurantees that it will.