POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Suggestion: blur : Re: Feature Suggestion: blur Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Suggestion: blur
From: Robert Dawson
Date: 9 Aug 1999 12:42:39
Message: <37af04ff@news.povray.org>
Xplo Eristotle <inq### [at] unforgettablecom> wrote in message
news:37A### [at] unforgettablecom...
> I was thinking about reflection and transparency effects the other day
> and it occurred to me that many real objects aren't perfectly
> transparent or reflective.. consider a moderately-polished wooden table,
> or a lollipop. Yet, I know of no way to simulate this effect in POV-Ray.
>
> My proposal is simple enough: the addition of a "blur" keyword, which
> could be used inside of a finish (blurry reflection) or an interior
> (blurry substance). I imagine that the easiest way to do this would be
> with a variation on the focal blur or antialiasing code.

    In the mean time, adding very small normal perturbations (eg, bozo 0.01
scale 0.00001) and antialiasing heavily will do quite a good job. Slow as
all-get-out, of course...but it is more or less how the Real World does it.

    However, as it is (a) a very useful part of the texture and (b) a time
sink, it would indeed be a good choice to build in.

    -Robert Dawson