POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New way of specifying transparence? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:13:19 EDT (-0400)
  New way of specifying transparence? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Chris Huff
Subject: New way of specifying transparence?
Date: 10 Jul 1999 23:35:26
Message: <37881213.99FA956@compuserve.com>
I have been thinking about a new way of specifying transparence, rgbft
seems too limiting.
The new way would look like this:

New pattern: solid OFFSET//where OFFSET is the point on the color map(or
whatever map)

transparence {//this would either go under texture or pigment, probably
the latter
    multiplicative PATTERN
    additive PATTERN
    subractive PATTERN
    filter PATTERN
    transmit PATTERN

    pigment {}//an optional pigment, if present, this is used for
transparence calculations
}

It would allow a separate pigment for the transparence calculations, and
would allow one to have an object of one color filter light like an
object of another color(I believe there are some real-world substances
which actually do this).
It would be very useful in layered textures, and would make some very
interesting surrealistic scenes possible. Also, it might make good
clouds when used with the layered objects approach.

Post a reply to this message