POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New way of specifying transparence? : Re: New way of specifying transparence? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New way of specifying transparence?
From: Robert Dawson
Date: 14 Jul 1999 09:36:05
Message: <378c9245@news.povray.org>
Andrew Cocker opined:
> Not far removed from this topic is something I spoke of a while ago. How
> hard would it be to introduce something like color_bleed, so that a
specific
> colour could be made to bleed onto it's surroundings to give a glow
effect.
> This and other 'post-processing' type effects would be extremely welcome
IMO

    Well, not to flame, but - if you want post-processing effects, get/use a
post-processing program!  Anything with color-based masking and layers will
give you far, far better bleeds than hanging a bag on the side of POV-Ray
will ever do.

    You know you've been raytracing too long when - you want your entire OS
and all your apps to be part of your raytracer <grin>.

    Seriously, what *would* be nice is a way to get POV-Ray to put out an
additional image with each major object represented by a big flat area of a
distinctive color, to alow precision masking in a post-processing program.
Something in the spirit of those black and white keys they put besides
photographs, with each person/building/animal in outline & numbered.  And -
it's there already! Use quick-color and a very low quality setting :-)

    Also, it would be nice if people didn't feel (as some do) that they had
to apologise for postprocessing. Art is art, and if you have to put the
paint on with your nose to get the right effect, then you do that.

    -Robert Dawson